Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pronouns: Personal Pronouns


Hi, everybody! Now, I write about Pronouns. Any kinds of pronouns, but today I just write about Personal pronouns. It is because Personal pronouns is the basic of sentences. So, before you teach your students how to make a sentence, it's better to tell them about personal pronouns. Let's check!

A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun. There are different kinds
of pronouns. In linguistics and grammar, a pronoun (Lat: pronomen) is a pro-form that substitutes for a noun (or noun phrase), such as, in English, the words it (substituting for the name of a certain object) and she (substituting for the name of a person). The replaced noun is called the antecedent of the pronoun.
Personal pronouns may be used as:
  • the subject of a verb,
  • or the object of a verb.

Subject Pronouns

The subject of a verb does the action of the verb. The personal pronouns
I, you, he, she, it, we and they can all be used as the subject of a verb. Study
the following two sentences:

Lisa likes cats. She has four cats.

In the first sentence, the proper noun Lisa is the subject of the verb likes.
In the second sentence, the pronoun she is the subject of the verb has.
Here are some more pairs of sentences that show personal pronouns used as subjects of verbs.


My name is Michael. I am fourteen.
My father works hard. He works in a factory.
My sister is older than me. She is twelve.
Our dog is very naughty. It likes to chase cats.
Bob, you are a bad dog!
David and I are playing football. We like sports. Jim and Jeff are my brothers. They are older than I am.



Object Pronouns

The object of a verb receives the action of the verb. The personal pronouns
me, you, him, her, it, us and them can all be used as the object of a verb.
Look at the following two sentences:

Lisa likes cats. She likes to stroke them.

In the first sentence, the noun cats is the object of the verb likes. In the
second sentence, the pronoun them is the object of the verb stroke.
Here are some more pairs of sentences that show personal pronouns
used as objects of verbs.

I’m doing my homework. Dad is helping me.
Goodbye, children! I’ll call you later.
Where is John? I need to speak to him.
Miss Garcia is very nice. All the children like her.
The car is very dirty. Mom is cleaning it.
Uncle Harry called Mary to ask her a question. My chocolates are all gone. Someone has eaten them.



First Person, Second Person and Third Person
In grammar, the person who is speaking is called the first person. The one
spoken to is called the second person, and the one spoken about is called the
third person. Here is a table to help you remember which pronouns to use.















taken from, BASIC ENGLISH GRAMMAR for english language grammar learners. Howard Sargeant.
*Note: if you want the example of exercises, just request and write your comment about the article. So, this article can be longer exist to help others.
Reference: wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment